The OU College of Architecture has kicked off a design competition focusing on the connections between Arrowhead Mall, an urban renewal era project, and downtown Muskogee. The group of 30 faculty, staff, and students traveled to Muskogee February 1 to kick off the project on February 1.
Students in Dr. Sarah Little‘s landscape architecture studio and Dr. Catherine Barrett‘s architecture studio have formed four interdisciplinary teams to offer competing sets of recommendations for the mall and surrounding property. Advisors for the project will include the OU-Tulsa Urban Design Studio, Institute for Quality Communities, and Scott Williams, executive director of the International Landscape Architecture Lighting Institute. Teams will also get outside advice from Ellen Dunham-Jones, director of the Urban Design Program at Georgia Tech and co-author of Retrofitting Suburbia.
February 1 – Site Visit to Muskogee
February 3 – Ellen Dunham-Jones lecture on retrofitted malls in studio
February 6-10 – Conceptual Design & Program Development
February 10 – Scott Williams lecture on lighting in studio
February 13-17 – Schematic Design
February 15 – Virtual Reality Seminar at Bizzell Library at 2:00 p.m.
February 17 – Deadline to Submit Questions to Competition Committee
February 20-24 – Production
February 27 – Final Submissions Due
March 1 – Muskogee Trip & Jury
Exhibition & Jury
March 1, 2017, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Arrowhead Mall – Open to the Public
- Ellen Dunham-Jones, Jury Chair – Director of Urban Design Program at Georgia Tech School of Architecture, co-author of Retrofitting Suburbia
- Ron Drake – redevelopment consultant – Siloam Springs, Arkansas
- Matt King, AIA – Principal at King Architectural Solutions – Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Tim Presley, ASLA – PDG (Planning Design Group) – Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Jennifer Van Volkinburg – Commercial Portfolio Manager at McKinley – Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Johni Wardwell – Downtown Plan Steering Committee, Board of Directors at City of Muskogee Foundation – Muskogee, Oklahoma
The public is invited to view design proposals during this period.